The 2018-2019 edition of the annual Amsterdam Light Festival will last 53 days, starting the 30th of November 2018, till the 20th of January 2019. If you’re lucky enough to be in Amsterdam during this period, then the Light Festival is an absolute must-do! This seventh edition, thirty illuminated artworks and sculptures, will naturally blend into the Amsterdam landscape. Every year during the chilly Dutch winters, the Amsterdam Canals become decor to the led artworks of both national and international artists. The light arts can be admired from a boat during a strongly recommended cruise, but also by foot following a specific walking route.
If you’d like to get a better picture of what to expect we recommend you to check out the after movie of the 2017-2018 edition of the Amsterdam Light Festival below.
Amsterdam Light Festival 2017-2018 aftermovie
Boat tours, prices & discounts during the Amsterdam Light Festival 2018-2019
There are several boating companies that operate during the Amsterdam Light Festival. You are able to choose from a wide variety of boats from basic to luxury. Some of the tours include food and drinks and even entertainment, while others just focus on the light sculptures. Of course, the more basic tours are a lot cheaper. To give you an idea; expect prices ranging from €20,- up to €70,- per person for the more luxurious tours.
Selected light festival tickets
From the various tours available during Amsterdam Light Festival we’ve selected four different boat tours on different boats. Check out what boat suits you best and buy your tickets online so that you don’t have to miss out! The different types of boats are;
- Medium semi-open boat; this is the cheapest tour. The boat is one size smaller than the standard canal boat. The boat has a plastic roof that will be closed with rain, but if the weather allows it will be opened up so you can make the most stunning pictures. There’ll be blankets on board to keep you warm, but no heating so dress properly.
- Standard canal boat; this boat is the standard comfortable boat. You won’t notice the winter temperatures thanks to the onboard heating. The standard boat is stable and thus a good choice when you have difficulties walking. The boat is fitted with a glass roof so not the best option when you want to take photographs.
- Small open boat; the small open boat offers a more intimate setting with smaller groups. You will receive blankets cushions and hot chocolate or gluhwein to keep you comfortable during the tour. The boats are not as stable as the bigger boats, something to keep in mind when dealing with reduced mobility. From the open rear deck, you’ll be able to take fantastic pictures.
- Luxury authentic Dutch boat; for those who want to enjoy The Light Festival in all luxury, this should be your tour of choice! On this heated boat, you’ll receive free drinks and a snack while you enjoy the view of the illuminated artworks. Very cozy, but not the best choice for photographers.
– Use our Tours-tickets.com discount code ‘THINGS10AMSTERDAM’ and get 10% off on all cruises! –
Amsterdam Light Festival walking tours
Besides the several boat tours available, you can also choose to enjoy the artworks on a special walking route. As soon as we have more info on this year’s walking route, we’ll update this page!
Photo impression of last year
Want to see a little more? Check out these magnificent photos from previous editions.
©Photography by Janus van den Eijnden