Amsterdam Light Festival 2021-2022
The 2021-2022 edition of the annual Amsterdam Light Festival will last 53 days, starting the 2nd of December 2021, till the 23rd of January 2022. If you’re lucky enough to be in Amsterdam during this period, then the Light Festival is an absolute must-do! This year we celebrate the 10th edition, twenty illuminated artworks, and sculptures will naturally blend into the Amsterdam landscape. The entire preparation takes around 15 months! Every year during the chilly Dutch winters, the Amsterdam Canals become decor to the led artworks of both national and international artists. The light arts can be admired from a boat during a strongly recommended canal cruise, but also by foot following a specific walking route.
The artworks of the festival of the lights are illuminated daily between 17:00 till 23:00, with the exception of New Year’s evening when the artworks are switched off at 20:00. During the opening hours, several boating companies offer tours. We advise you to reserve in advance, especially in the period around the Christmas holidays!
#10 Edition! – the theme for Amsterdam Light Festival 2021 – 2022
Each year the Light Festival is dedicated to a certain theme. This year the celebration of the 10th edition will be focused on. After each festival, the sculptures and artworks are expending the collection of the organization. Mostly the artifacts start traveling around the world. Since this is the 10th edition, it’s time to return the best pieces for you in Amsterdam! You can expect the best pieces from the last decade, and some newly developed artworks for Edition #10.
Boat tours, prices & discounts during the Amsterdam Light Festival 2021-2022
There are several boating companies that operate during the Amsterdam Light Festival. You are able to choose from a wide variety of boats from basic to luxury. Some of the tours include food and drinks and even entertainment, while others just focus on the light sculptures. Of course, the more basic tours are a lot cheaper. To give you an idea; expect prices ranging from €26,5- up to €70,- per person for the more luxurious tours.
Selected light festival tickets by Tours & Tickets
From the various tours available during Amsterdam Light Festival we’ve selected four different boat tours on different boats. Check out what boat suits you best and buy your tickets online so that you don’t have to miss out! The different types of boats are;
- Medium semi-open boat; this is the cheapest tour. The boat is one size smaller than the standard canal boat. The boat has a plastic roof that will be closed with rain, but if the weather allows it will be opened up so you can make the most stunning pictures. There’ll be blankets on board to keep you warm, but no heating so dress properly.
- Standard canal boat; this boat is the standard comfortable boat. You won’t notice the winter temperatures thanks to the onboard heating. The standard boat is stable and thus a good choice when you have difficulties walking. The boat is fitted with a glass roof so not the best option when you want to take photographs.
- Luxury authentic Dutch boat; for those who want to enjoy The Light Festival in all luxury, this should be your tour of choice! On this heated boat, you’ll receive free drinks and a snack while you enjoy the view of the illuminated artworks. Very cozy, but not the best choice for photographers.
– Use our Tours-tickets.com discount code ‘THINGSTODO10’ and get 10% off on all cruises! –
Historic boat experience by Tiqets
Book a cruise on this cute historic boat with Tiqets. Enjoy a comfortable, sheltered boat cruise with Amsterdam Light Festival. Including a blanket and a glass of Gluhweihn for your comfort!
– Use our Tiqets.com discount code ‘THINGSAMS05’ and get 5% off –
Amsterdam Light Festival walking route 2021-2022
Besides the several boat tours available, you can also choose to enjoy the artworks on a special walking route. Check out last years walking route below. The total route was 8.5 kilometers. If that’s a bit too much for you, you can always choose to cheat a bit with the aid of public transport.
Amsterdam Light Festival 2019-2020 aftermovie
Photo impression of last year
Want to see a little more? Check out these magnificent photos from previous editions.
©Photography by Janus van den Eijnden
FAQ concerning Amsterdam Light Festival opening
Why is a popular attraction only open 53 days per year?
The shortest days of the year are during this period. It needs to be really dark. Only during this period, it’s dark before 17:00 hours. Nobody wants to visit a light festival without seeing the lights well.
What has changed compared to 2019 – 2020?
The sculptures will be entirely replaced. Also, the road for the boats and the light festival walking road is changed every year.
What are the opening hours for the Amsterdam Light Festival?
The opening hours this year are from 17:00 in the afternoon till 23:00 in the evening.
How much time do I need?
Mostly off the tours will take one hour. But, keep in mind to come on time, since there will be a queue during these days.
Is the Amsterdam Light Festival suitable for children?
Yes. It is not a scary trip. We recommend you to take a boat with a closed cabin.