All you need to know about using truffles in Amsterdam
Truffles have been popular for quite some time in the Netherlands and Amsterdam is one of those cities where you can definitely find them. Both tourists and locals consider them a treasure of mother nature and smart shops consider them gold (literally and figuratively).
So what are truffles actually? What are magic truffles? Where can you buy them in Amsterdam? What are the prices of truffles in Amsterdam and where can you buy them in the city?
Let us start with the basics, what is a truffle anyway? Truffles are underground growing mushrooms, which give a unique scent. Per kilo, a truffle can be one of the most expensive ingredients you can use. The tubers are found at the foot of trees and therefore fall into the mushroom category.
A truffle can perhaps best be compared to a mushroom, but then of course of in a different class. However, unlike the mushroom, the truffle is a fungus that develops underground. Due to lack of space there, it does not grow large but usually develops into a concentrate of mushroom flavour.
The most important characteristic of the truffle is the typical intoxicating odour and taste. Truffles are the ripest and the tastiest in January.
What is the difference between white and black truffles?
The best-known truffles can be divided into two colours: the white and the black truffle. This includes the black Périgord truffles, which are seen as one of the most sought-after varieties.
Even more beloved, but also rarer and therefore more expensive are the white truffles from the Italian Piedmont region. These cost thousands of euros each and ensure record revenues every year.
But what exactly is the difference? You can recognise the black truffles by their earthy taste and smell, which come out when you heat them. The inside is white and the outside is often “covered” with very small bumps.
White truffles, on the other hand, are more complex, delicate and have a stronger taste. The outside is a bit more “tuberous” and not exactly white, but light brown. The inside looks more beige and often with white veins.
Chinese truffles are also starting to be more and more popular. Although they grow all over the world (from Europe to North Africa and from Tasmania to America), those from France and Italy are the most sought after.
However, the Chinese truffle is on the rise, although they can sometimes be fake. Too often they are sold as his European truffles, and sometimes aroma sprays are used to disguise their faint smell and taste. So don’t be tempted into buying this much cheaper version.
What are magic truffles?
Magic truffles are one of the most extraordinary types of psychedelics in the world. These sclerotia are not technically mushrooms, but they are part of the same organism. If you are wondering what the difference is between these truffles and mushrooms, then you are not alone. Although both contain the psychedelic substance psilocybin, they are two different products.
This is because truffles grow underground, while mushrooms grow above the ground. It is also good to know that magic truffles are not really “truffles” but “sclerotia”. Sclerotia are fungi that grow from the same organism as psychedelic mushrooms — but are therefore not mushrooms themselves.
Since the ban on mushrooms, truffles are sold as substitutes for them. Truffles are legal. The active substances in mushrooms and truffles are prohibited. Truffles contain substances that make the brain work in a different way. The active substances include psilocin and psilocybin.
Truffles contain the same active substances. They change the experience of reality, space and time. Your environment, feelings and perception are also experienced differently. The strength differs per species and per truffle. It is a natural product, so one truffle may contain more active substances than the others of the same kind.
Are (magic) truffles legal in the Netherlands?
Yes, (magic) truffles are legal in the Netherlands. Sclerotia are formed by underground mushrooms that store nutrients and protect them against the cold, drought and natural heat. They contain psilocybin, which gives a colourful state of consciousness that lasts for about 4 to 6 hours.
Magic truffles are officially a “by-product” of magic mushrooms and contain no detectable harmful substances, magic truffles can be sold in the Netherlands but magic mushrooms cannot because they are illegal. You can buy different kinds of magic truffles at smarts shops where they are safe and legal.
How much do truffles cost?
Unfortunately, as is the case with many popular and rare products, fresh truffles are often too expensive to buy. Black truffles can go for as much as 500 euros per kilo, while white truffles sometimes cost thousands of euros. Magic truffles could go for as much as €19,99 per 15 g, depending on the smart shop or online store.
This high price has to do with a number of factors. Not only are they becoming increasingly rare, finding them can be quite a lot of work.
How are truffles used?
Truffles can be used in different ways. Most people just eat them. You can also make tea from them or use them as an ingredient in a dish. For example, there are also chocolate bars with truffles incorporated and most people like adding them to their pasta. You usually begin to feel the effect after half an hour after eating your dish.
If you have a full stomach it may take longer before you feel the effects of the truffles. If you put it in your tea, you can notice it a bit earlier, the effect is, therefore, more intense. Putting them in your chocolate can also deliver a more intense effect. The duration of the effect is usually between 3 and 8 hours.
How do truffles work?
Truffles fall into the consciousness-altering and hallucinogenic group. The effects vary and depend, among other things, on your personal sensitivity, your mood and the dose. The active substances psilocin and psilocybin are very similar to the body’s own serotonin (the neurotransmitter).
Here are some effects of truffles on the brain:
The effects and intensity of the effect depend on your dose and personal sensitivity. You feel the effect in wave movements. One moment can be more intense than the other.
- Strengthening pleasant feelings and senses
- Laughing (laugh kick)
- Music sounds different, deeper, more immersive
- Colours become more intense
- A relaxed, cheerful, energetic, “high” feeling
- Experiencing feelings that you are normally not aware of
- Visual hallucinations
- Unrest, a confused feeling
- Thirst, dry mouth
- A warm or cold feeling
- Stomach and intestinal complaints
- Strengthening of unpleasant feelings
- Less control over emotions and behaviour
- Anxious tripping and intense painful feelings
- Fear that the effects will no longer pass
Truffles are characterised by different types of effects. You may experience the effects in wave movements and/or ‘loops’. The intensity also comes in wave movements and eventually decreases. Sometimes magic truffles give a ‘cosy’ feeling, you smile, you are cheerful and the world looks nice and colourful. Music is intense as you listen to it.
Sometimes you have a crazy train of thoughts, you don’t understand much about what’s happening around you or even your own thoughts. Sometimes it is difficult for you to form words. You may also have strong visual hallucinations. This does not always happen and depends strongly on your personal sensitivity, the dose and type of truffle.
You cannot predict exactly which effects you will get when you use truffles. People experience truffles very differently. Some may find the effects quite intense and others may not.
Truffles are not generally dangerous to health. The active substances are not harmful. However, people can get into trouble through irresponsible use. The negative symptoms can mainly occur in the wrong environment, due to individual sensitivity, a high dosage, etc.
What are the risks of using truffles?
It is often thought that there are no risks associated with the use of “natural products” like truffles. That idea is wrong. Violent and even negative emotions can arise from the effects of truffle use. Most people have what is called “a bad trip” which can be due to the user not being able to handle the effects. Much like people who don’t know how to handle their alcohol. A bad trip can be annoying, but almost never dangerous.
The active substances in truffles are not harmful to the body. However, it can become dangerous in very exceptional situations. For example, the chance of having a bad trip is higher if you drink alcohol before or during the trip.
Note: Please make sure you use truffles responsibly. The more careful you are, the fewer the risks.
What happens during a bad trip?
- The trip turns out to be more intense than you thought in advance
- There is usually fear, panic, restlessness
- Experiencing unpleasant feelings and emotions
- Psychiatric illnesses (depression, psychosis) may get worse or last longer
- Injury from doing something dangerous while on a bad trip
Note: When on a bad trip, make sure you are in a safe place so you do not run the risk of accidentally injuring yourself or others. For example: do not go cycling or try to operate machinery of any kind.
People with psychiatric illnesses such as depression or psychosis should not take truffles. There is a risk that the disease will recur or last longer.
If you are pregnant, have a disease and/or use medication, it is better not to take truffles. Truffles are potentially dangerous for your unborn child.
Can one be addicted to truffles?
No, it isn’t possible to become addicted to truffles. Given the intense effects that occur from the use of truffles, they are not used very often. Truffles are typically used a few times at most. The chance of mental dependence is therefore not very great.
Strongest (magic) truffles in Amsterdam
Magic truffles are becoming increasingly popular in Amsterdam. There are many different types and varieties of truffle. Below are five of the strongest truffles in Amsterdam.
- UTOPIA: Utopia makes users construct their own world with their imagination. It allows you to reach a higher level of awareness and also offers you strange visuals. The perception of colour changes; figures remove themselves from normal geometric reality. Expect deep thoughts about life and the universe. The Psilocybe utopia is very powerful, so 5 – 7.5 g is a good dose for novice trippers. It is good to take less in the beginning if you want to test it first. For an average strength experience, 8-10g is good, and everything above 10 g provides an ultra-trippy experience.
- HOLLANDIA: This is one of the strongest truffles in Amsterdam. It makes you experience hallucinations and vibrating waves all through your body. Increased senses and more intense creativity can create a fantastic imagination for “tripping” artists. Hollandia makes users feel one with everything. With just 7.5 g, new users can be shown a new world. 10 – 12 g, users are sent to a new and beautiful reality. Everything above 15 g is only recommended for experienced trippers.
- MOKUM: This one may not be as strong as the aforementioned truffles but it is still very powerful. The effects are a lot like those from weed: users become more social and suddenly have contemplative thoughts about the existence of life. Given the dosage, 7.5 g can deliver a number of “trippy” experiences. A dose of 10 g is considered medium and 15 g is for more experienced users.
- PANDORA: This is basically the opposite of Pandora’s box. It’s opening a box of truffles and unleashing all the effects that come with them. If you want serious psychedelic vibes, this is one of the most popular truffles in Amsterdam. The 7.5 g dose is good for new users. For stronger effects, 10 g should be enough. For a complete immersion in the mystical psychedelic box, 15 g should suffice.
- ATLANTIS: The Atlantis truffle was discovered in Fulton Country, Georgia (US). This truffle is meant to help users discover the fictional island of Atlantis. Just like Pandora, beginners can start with 7.5 g. With 10 g is considered medium and 51 g is expected to definitely take you to the mythical island of Atlantis.
Where can I buy truffles in Amsterdam?
The best and safest place to buy truffles in Amsterdam is in smart shops. Below are some smart shops where you can buy your truffles in Amsterdam:
Azarius: Azarius has both an online and offline Smartshop. The offline store is located at the Kerkstraat in Amsterdam. The shop is located at a 2-minute walk from the Leidseplein.
Kokopelli: This shop is close to the red light district in the Warmoestraat. It’s quite curious and beautiful. It is a mere 7-minute walk from the Amsterdam Central Station and is definitely worth a visit even if you are not interested in truffles.
Tatanka: A big and spacious smart shop located on the Leidseplein.
Note: Truffles can also be bought online from sites like Truffle Magic.
Useful tips for truffles usage
You can reduce the risks by following the tips listed below. Mushrooms and truffles are normally safe if you take minimal but necessary safety precautions. Drug use without risk does not exist.
- Take your time and ensure a safe and quiet/trusted environment. For a pleasant and “safe trip,” this is definitely necessary with a higher dosage. Make sure there is someone in the neighbourhood who is sober.
- Only take mushrooms or truffles if you feel well.
- If you become anxious, stay calm: the unpleasant feeling always passes.
- Do not resist what comes to mind and relax. It usually helps to think of something fun and to listen to some music.
- Eating or drinking something can help you feel better.
- Listen to the signals from your body and mind. If you find that you can’t really stand it, stop it. Don’t use truffles anymore!
- Smoking weed extends and intensifies the trip. It is better not to use other drugs when using truffles.
- Please do not buy truffles from street sellers. Only buy your truffles in a good smart shop. Feel free to ask the shopkeeper for advice.
- Do not combine mushrooms and truffles with alcohol. This increases the chance of a bad trip.
- Do not drive after using truffles!
- Take your time, don’t use truffles if you don’t have the time. Make sure you have nothing important to do the next day. You can be tired after a truffle trip.
- It is important to regularly drink some water or fruit juice during the trip. This does not affect the effects of the truffles.
- Do not take truffles if you feel anxious, stressed or depressed. People with a dormant psychosis or schizophrenia should not use truffles.
- Do not take truffles if you use medication.
- Do not take truffles if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or younger than 18 years.
- Always preserve your truffles between 4 and 6 degrees Celsius. They can be kept in the fridge for up to a month.
Most people simply chew truffles and then swallow them, but if you do not like the taste, you can always mix it with yoghurt; or put it in tea and wait 20 minutes before drinking the brew. Make sure that the water does not boil, because that can deconstruct important psychedelic properties of the magic truffles.
The dosage of truffles always matters. If you take 20 g of weak truffles, it can generate a much stronger trip than 5 g of the strongest truffles you can find. Please make sure you understand the strength of your desired truffle and measure exactly how much you have to take.
It is important to note that psychedelic substances have a different effect on everyone. It has to do with individual experiences, psychology and physiology. If you are a beginner, it is strongly recommended taking a small dose in an environment where you feel comfortable. If you are not in a good place mentally, please do not take truffles! Take care of yourself first!
Do you have questions about the use of magic truffles? Please let us know in the comments!